--makes 4 omelets--
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 T Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of tumeric
Scant 1 cup nondairy milk
1/2 tsp canola oil
Additional canola oil, as needed for cooking
- Place dry ingredients in mixing bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Pour milk and oil into dry ingredients. Stir well using wire whisk to make a smooth batter. Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes, then stir it again.
- Mist a skillet with canola oil or non-stick cooking spray. When skillet is hot, pour 1/3 cup of batter into it, immediately tilting and rotating the skillet to distribute the batter evenly and create a 5-6 inch round.
- Cook the omelet until the top is completely dry, the bottom is a deep golden brown, and the edges start to curl up slightly.
- Carefully loosen the omelet with a metal spatula, and gently turn it over. Cook the second side until it too is a deep golden color and flecked with brown. Slide the finished omelet out of the skillet onto a dinner plate.
- Make the remaining omelets following the same procedure. Adjust the heat as needed during cooking, and add a this layer of canola oil or cooking spray to the skillet before cooking each omelet to prevent them from sticking to the pan! Stack omelets until finished.
- To serve, fold omelets in half or stuff omelets with filling before folding.
I might try it this weekend. Have to buy flour (I ran out of all kinds of flour a while ago and have avoided recipes that require any kind since then). Maybe make a cheeze to go with it?