Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lentils Kale & Amaranth

Date: August 26, 2009 (night, made for next day's meals)

Ingredients

1 cup small black lentils (I got them in bulk from my local health foods store - I think that they might be beluga lentils, but I'm not sure)
1 red onion, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 T organic extra virgin olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 cup chopped kale (I chop it in a food processor and freeze it in batches)
Organic No-Salt Seasoning
3 cups water

1 cup amaranth grain
3 cups water

Directions
  1. Heat cast iron pot. Add olive oil and heat. Add onion and saute for five minutes or until soft and yummy aroma rises up.
  2. Add the lentils (picked through) and water.
  3. Add as much or as little of the seasoning as you like.
  4. Stir to combine spices, lentils, and onion. Bring to boil.
  5. Add kale and continue to cook until lentils have absorbed all the water, approximately 40-45 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, add amaranth and water to another pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all water is absorbed.
  7. Serve Lentils on or next to the Amaranth.
Recipe Analysis
I estimate that this recipe will make six servings. Nutritional analysis from caloriecounter.com -- they give it an A.
Serving Size: 340 g
Calories per serving: 280, Calories from fat: 54
Details: 13.7 g protein, 44.1 g carbs (15%), 13.4 g fiber (54%), 2.0 g sugars, 24 mg sodium (1%), 0 mg cholesterol, 6.0 g total fat (9%), 1.1 g saturated fat (5%), 52% DV Vitamin A, 40% DV Vitamin C, 10% DV Calcium, 29% DV Iron.
Highlights: Low in saturated fat; No cholesterol; Very low in sodium; Low in sugar; High in dietary fiber; High in iron; High in manganese; High in magnesium; High in phosphorus; High in vitamin A; High in vitamin C.


Notes
  1. Amaranth appears to be more of a breakfast cereal grain. It also spat at me and burned my hand while cooking. I think I will stick with other grains to pair with lentils next time.
  2. J loves these lentils. I really need to figure out what kind they are! And buy more...I only have 1/3 cup left after making this dish last night!
  3. My recipe name sounds like a law firm! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment