1 1/2 cups dried small white beans, soaked overnight (got them on markdown at Target...)
4 1/2 cups water
2 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (or more as you like), minced
1 1/2 T organic extra virgin olive oil
2 medium eggplants (Farmer's market buy on Sat), peeled and cubed (1/2 inch cubes)
2 medium summer zucchini (Farmer's market score), cubed (1/2 inch cubes)
1 very large heirloom tomato (again, Farmer's market score), diced
2 T herbes de Provence
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cube Rapunzel vegan vegetable bouillon with sea salt
- Remember to soak the bean overnight! Rinse them, then add beans and water to cast iron pot on stove. Cook for for approximately one hour over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veggies - chopping, dicing, etc.
- Place all vegetable and spices into the slow cooker.
- Add the beans and their cooking water.
- Put slow cooker on high and allow to cook for 2-3 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Serve over or with brown rice.
I estimate that this recipe will make eight servings of yummy soup. Nutritional analysis (excluding bouillon) from caloriecounter.com -- they give it an A.
Serving Size: 388.9 g
Calories per serving: 201, Calories from fat: 30
Details: 11.2 g protein, 34.8 g carbs (12%), 11.0 g fiber (44%), 6.1 g sugars, 137 mg sodium (6%), 0 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g total fat (5%), 0.5 g saturated fat (3%), 6% DV Vitamin A, 27% DV Vitamin C, 12% DV Calcium, 25% DV Iron.
Highlights: Low in saturated fat; No cholesterol; Very high in dietary fiber; High in iron; High in manganese; High in magnesium; High in potassium; High in vitamin C.
- I wanted to also include a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes in this recipe, but everything wouldn't fit in my slow cooker. Need to buy a larger slow cooker...
- J loved this soup according to D. She ate a bowl and a half for dinner that night with me. Pretty cool.
- This recipe is based on various recipes for ratatouille that I found online when I decided I wanted to buy eggplant.